Thursday 21 October 2010

I like clutter: introducing Magpies + Mad Hatters



Image courtesy of Urban Graphic Ltd
 

I tend to hoard. When I try bundling things into bags for Oxfam, guilt tugs at my chest. I survey the amputee Barbies and one-eyed cuddly toys of my childhood, veterans of the teddy bears’ picnic regime, and I imagine their sense of rejection. Judas, that’s what they’re thinking.
*
It’s not just toys, either: bits of broken jewellery, empty perfume bottles that smell of my GCSE years, scraps of wrapping paper, dog-eared postcards, ticket stubs. These things lurk awkwardly; unsuitable for charity shops, too precious for the wastepaper bin.
*
Accumulating new clutter is also an issue. Second hand book shops, markets, jumble sales, haberdasheries and antique dealers fascinate me. Places with kitsch or baroque decor float my boat - anywhere reminiscent of alladin's cave; old theatres dripping with hideous gold angels and stale velvet, tea rooms full of hand painted china.
*
MAGPIES + MAD HATTERS aims to rummage through vintage stalls, seek out retro tea shops, track down beautiful old cinemas and harass antique dealers on your behalf, charting businesses and locations that hoarders and collectors might be partial to.

No comments:

Post a Comment